Skip directly to content

Christians in A.A.?

ezellecudneykak's picture
on October 2, 2014 - 3:03am
Forum category: 

koopair.com - https://www.koopair.com/profile/blogview/45731/38321/Need-for-Led-lighti... Christians inside a.A.?
I don’t have got statistics! I don’t are conscious of any statistics. And I’m unclear I care about any statistics that may exist. On the other hand think it could be valuable when we knew without a doubt that, on the list of two-million members worldwide, the A.A. fellowship includes a Christian or two.
Goods fact, it doesn’t demand a statistical survey to ascertain that it does. The number of Christian members is there? I don’t know. And it’s not the part of the.A. to determine.
But people who know the history of A.A., who overlook the chatter of uninformed critics, and that have attended a huge number of meetings can validate certain facts you can observe by yourself. As long as you choose to.
Some Facts You will observe:
(1) Early A.A. had two distinctly different origins. (2) The 1st was together with the United Christian
Endeavor Movement and Dr. Bob’s active membership in this society plus the North Congregational Church in St. Johnsbury, Vermont. hanma led light bar reviews - http://ledlightbartruck.com/ (3) Dr. Bob was then, and remained, a Christian through out his life. (4) The Akron fellowship he led was called a Christian Fellowship by him and its members. (5) That fellowship required - https://www.Koopair.com/profile/blogview/45731/38321/Need-for-Led-lighti... the acceptance of Christ as well as the study in the Bible by all who sought membership inside it. (6) When the Cleveland Roman Catholics split far from the Akron fellowship, it had been largely as their priest deemed Akron’s group to get Protestant Christian. (7) Then began a substantial influx of Roman Catholics to A.A. with a resultant plurality of the Christians one of many membership then, and also today. (8) One need only go to A.A. meetings in many parts of the us to hear the confessions in meetings by speakers who consider themselves born-again Christians, by speakers who say these were raised Catholic and still have returned for their church. (9) The critics who report that A.A. wasn't Christian as the name indicated simply overlook the facts above and repudiate too the Christianity of A.A.’s New York mentors inside the Oxford Group—led by Lutheran Minister Frank Buchman, Episcopalian priest Sam Shoemaker, as well as a host of other Christian clergy from the Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Congregational, Dutch Reformed, Anglican, and also other denominations. (10) Merely a rabid, prejudiced outsider would claim there won't be any Christians within a.A. You can see and hear Roman Catholic priests and nuns speaking in and participating as members in the.A. around the world. There's a fellowship of “recovering” Episcopalian priests who espouse A.A. And there are frequently those who speak in meetings and identify themselves as Roman Catholics, or as followers of Jesus Christ, or as people in various Christian churches.
What’s the actual?
First, let’s review some pertinent facts about Alcoholics Anonymous today: (1) A.A. is very little Christian Fellowship. (2) A.A. includes people in many denominations—Protestant, Roman Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist, and humanist. (3) A.A. was once, in Akron, a Protestant Christian Fellowship. (4) A.A. in Akron was, at an early point, much influenced by Sister Ignatia, a Roman Catholic nun. (5) A.A. used to be, inside the New York area, strongly influenced by Jesuit Roman Catholic priests; by a number of “mainline” Protestant clergy from Calvary Episcopal Church; by Rev. Norman Vincent Peale; by Christian Science writings; and also by the writings of several “New Thought” speakers and writers who considered themselves Christians. (6) Today’s A.A. does not have any membership as such, nor any membership requirements, nor any bars to admission. But its society consists of people from all of the foregoing Christian groups along with people who find themselves atheists, humanists, agnostics, spiritualists, Buddhists, and unbelievers. (7) Members are certainly not forced to have confidence in Yahweh, Christ, the present with the Holy Spirit, the Bible, the doctrines of the sect or creed, or in anything more. (8) There are many utterances among A.A. members that they have a “higher power” which may be a tree, a radiator, a Coke bottle, a rock, the Big Dipper, Father christmas, Gertrude, Her or him or It, the light source bulb, a door knob, the Great Pumpkin, and also other absurd names for a supposed deity or power.(9) There's no rule or Tradition or group or hierarchy in the.A. that may exclude any of the above, that will expel them from the meetings, or that will demand adherence by members to the beliefs of the majority in this meetings. (10) Many judges, scholars, and observers have legitimately observed and actually ruled that the.A. remains quite clearly a religion, not a Christian religion. (11) Others dispute this point with some arguing A.A. is “spiritual” and not “religious,” unable to define what are the difference might be, and ignoring the fact both words have synonymous origins.. (12) Many others (a substantial amount of Protestant Christian clergy) use a great concern that today’s A.A.--with its concentrate on the secular, on universalism, as well as on “any god” or “not-god”--does an enormous disservice to individuals in the.A. who're already Christians and to those who might otherwise become Christians. The priority is dependant on the hostility and intimidation inside the meetings targeted at people that express Christian or religious views and on the emphasis among professionals, treatment people, and also some AAs on a pseudo-religion of “higher power spirituality.” A theology or philosophy that exudes a lot more New Age idolatry than can possibly be of use to anyone who believes from the Creator, Jesus, the gift in the Holy Spirit, along with the Bible.
The Still Open Door and Tabernacle
A.A. today is available to all comers. The issue the real deal concern is whether or not it really still paves the way to, and makes room within, the fellowship totally free belief, free expression, and free activities which might be required for Christians who wish to be healed. That’s a real problem. Newcomers are available in befogged, fearful, bewildered, feeling guilty and ashamed, feeling abandoned and different, and despairing. Many Christians accept is as true worsens their condition, befuddles their recovery, and drives them away from religious help whenever they hear Christian convictions, Christian history, and Christian story telling ostracized by ridicule and outspoken hostility. Some clam in fear. Some retreat elsewhere. Some suffer in guilt and shame. And some actually walk away from their beliefs.
Exist Christians in A.A. today? Without a doubt! Is A.A. Christian today? This is not on your life! Are these claims an issue? Yes, as well as a big one. Many of us arrived to A.A. as Christians. We hadn’t recognized our excessive drinking for the purpose it was—whether a disease, a sin, a behavioral disorder, an innate predisposition, or perhaps a nutritional imbalance. We felt uneasy, condemned, and wary. The Christian message held and holds out a great deal more deliverance and wholeness and cure than any meeting or sponsor or even a.A. literature. I was blinded through the idolatry, idle “spirituality” talk, secularism, and false Tradition claims that discouraged the message that ultimately might make us free, could give to us the abundant life, and can assure our eternal life. With the very same time, we had been usually enveloped by love and caring, by friendship and support, by disciplined direction, by tangible objectives, and also by well-meaning recovered AAs, including those hostile to God, the Bible, church, and religion..
What’s the balance? For me, it wasn’t and isn’t in leaving A.A. Personally, it wasn’t and isn’t about are sequential tail lights legal shouting my religious convictions in the rooftops. For me, it wasn’t about Christianizing A.A. or condemning that regarding differing beliefs. For me personally, it wasn’t about driving the Roman Catholics, Jews, Presbyterians, atheists, humanists, Buddhists, and Hottentots from A.A. in into some cloistered tabernacle. It was feeling more comfortable with, and having the capability to freely to share with others, my own, personal webelectric sequential tail lights strong beliefs in Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, the healing power of the Creator, the truth of God’s Word, and the gift in the Holy Spirit. For this just isn't dangerous in my opinion, to other people, or A.A. It’s what Christians are hoped for to complete. I’ve completed it with newcomers. I’ve used it with men I’ve sponsored. I’ve done it with other Christians and Christian groups and meetings. I’ve never searched a scrap or debate with somebody who has different ideas. And I’m not going to be prohibited from doing it in A.A.
The check is simple: (1) Learn what early e series led light bar A.A. was—a Christian Fellowship that accepted Christ, depended on the Creator, attained growth through Bible study and prayer and God’s guidance, and worked other alcoholics to assure their fellowship and cure. Begin to see the James Club along with the Original A.A. Program’s Absolute Essentials (ISBN 1885803990) (2) Discover numerous early AAs were cured in this Christian Fellowship. See When Early AAs Were Cured and Why (ISBN 188580394X). (3) Discover there've for ages been two A.A.’s—early Christian A.A. in Akron, and also the eclectic non-Christian A.A. of Bill Wilson’s Big Book and Twelve Steps published four years following a.A.’s founding. See Real Twelve Step Fellowship History (ISBN 1885803877). 4) Learn that A.A. sometime ago opened the doors to folks of all beliefs with no beliefs and deliberately omitted example of its Christian origins, Biblical ideas, and convictions about Yahweh as Creator. See God and Alcoholism (ISBN 1885803346). (5) Discover you can find people who erroneously believe that the open-door policy somehow proved how the Christian principles failed to work, were abandoned, and will be resisted today. (6) Notice that they're wrong, that we now have no facts to guide their statements, and that A.A. is harmed by their statements. (7) Learn that the A.A. Traditions and history make no such claims as theirs. (8) Discover the codes of “love and repair,” “love and tolerance,” and “live and let live” have the ability to their roots inside the thought of brotherhood, not contention. (9) Figure out how to keep our mouths shut about what A.A. is or was or did or didn’t until our mind have actually “returned,” until we’ve studied the important points, and until we’ve really observed that there truly is, and—in today’s A.A.—has to be, room for many. View a New Exit (ISBN 1885803893). All mentioned titles are available on Amazon.com and seen described at
Gloria Deo
END
Dick B., PO Box 837, Kihei, HI 96753-0837; ; 808 874 4876;